Re: Letter to the Editor of Wired

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:7/29/1999; 2:10:34 PM
Topic:Letter to the Editor of Wired

Without defending the Elderly White Male comment, Dvorak deserves this criticism for reasons that I think you haven't really addressed.

"The only thing missing from the new Apple iBook is the Barbie logo. The system, which looks like a makeup case, promises to be a disaster once people come to their senses."

The suggestion is not that the more distinguished men in our culture will avoid the product, rather that the product will be a disaster because it fails to address this market. The implication is that the only market that matters is the one that you and Dvorak represent. And _that_ is a bunch of crap... as a consumer, you just aren't that important to Apple, nor is Dvorak.

The truth of the matter is that iBook will likely be highly successful specifically _because_ it ignores that market. Should you buy an iBook, Dave. Of course! But it certainly won't fail if you and your demographic ignore it entirely.

I was in our campus computer store just 10 minutes ago. New students (male and female) swarming over iMacs and verbally wishing the iBook was out. They didn't even give the stodgy PC laptops a second look... doubt they even noticed they were from many different manufacturers.