Re: A bad habit of the Open Source culture

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:8/3/1999; 9:43:14 AM
Topic:Microsoft response to Instant Messaging

I was thinking of GTK+, and the rapid cycles of change and obsolescence in those libraries. Maybe I've been doing it the hard way, but when I upgrade my GTK+ libraries I've had to roll off and update a lot of packages.

This has more to do with just careless packaging in Gtk. As the library becomes more stable, I'm sure that the Gtk maintainers will be much more careful about binary compatibility. My gut feeling is that they really haven't cared much to this point only because not very many people were using it in the past. Now that Gnome is becoming relatively popular, they will probably (they had better) work out a more intelligent naming scheme for the libs.

The standard way to handle this is to ensure that libraries with the same major number are binary compatible. This is because most apps link to the libs one level deep -> libc.6 or libqt.1 for instance. AFAIK, most major libraries do adhere to this principle...