Re: A bad habit of the Open Source culture

Author:John Jensen
Posted:8/3/1999; 9:05:49 AM
Topic:Microsoft response to Instant Messaging

Hmm.. can you give examples where the Linux community has abandoned old software? I'm thinking of all of the old athena and xlib based apps written in the 70's (i.e., 'xterm' which was written before X itself) that work just fine on modern day Linux. Offhand, I can't think of a single case where an "old" piece of software will not run on a newer system.

I was thinking of GTK+, and the rapid cycles of change and obsolescence in those libraries. Maybe I've been doing it the hard way, but when I upgrade my GTK+ libraries I've had to roll off and update a lot of packages.