secure access to mainResponder sites

Author:Mike Mell
Posted:8/7/1999; 5:00:55 PM
Topic:secure access to mainResponder sites

Here is what I did to give myself and others secure access to a gdb in mainResponder.

1. Copy [htmlInterfaces.root].logon to the top level of mySite.
   (by top level, I mean at the same level as mySite.#ftpSite)

2. Rename mySite.logon to "public" // the magic name. It must be "public"

3. Copied [config.root].mainResponder.urls to the top level of my site.

4. Renamed urls to #urls

5. Deleted all the urls except the ones below and changed the values as follows:
   icons string: http://www.myDomain.com/resources/icons/
   memberCheckMail string: http://www.myDomain.com/mySite/public/checkYourMail
   memberLogoff string: http://www.myDomain.com/mySite/public/logoffConfirm
   memberLogon string: http://www.myDomain.com/mySite/public/

   memberHome string: http://www.myDomain.com/mySite/ // left off "public"

6. Rebuilt the public.#glossary
   deleted public.#ftpSite

7. Added mySite.#members string: "mySiteMembershipName" to the top level of the site // can be any string so long as it matches the string in #8 & 9 below and does NOT match the top level table of the site itself (eg "mySite")

8. Duplicated [members.root].default
   renamed [members.root].default #1 to "mySiteMembershipName"

9. Edited [members.root].mySiteMembershipName:
   [members.root].mySite.mailTemplate to contain the url of the site home page
   [members.root].mySite.cookieName == "mySite"
   [members.root].mySite.mailReturnAddress == mike@nthwave.net

I believe these are the complete and precise steps required for anyone to provide secure access to a gdb site in mainResponder.

Next, I want to provide access for four know people:
1. I went to the sign up page
   http://myDomain.com/mySite/public/signup

2. Entered their email address
   repeat for each person

3. Set [members.root].mySite.openToPublic to false --
   no more new sign ups are allowed.

Hope that helps someone.
Mike Mell

KEYWORDS: membership, members, secure access, mainresponder