Deep linking: Total inconsistency

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:8/12/1999; 9:51:11 AM
Topic:Deep linking: Total inconsistency

You can find any combination of policy on the web you want.

Two basic issues are at stake:

The case of the company that believes that it can't be reserved and doesn't try is probably never found, because they'll simply never mention it. However, you can find the other three combinations.

is explefied in the LaSalle example.

can be found in http://www.igat.com/isg/note.html. "Inspirator Group has adapted an 'assumed consent' link policy..." but it clearly implies it does not have to.

And finally, the somewhat entertaining

can be found at http://www.asahq.org/Policy/LinkPolicy.html. "In such a case, ASA will attempt to have the link removed." where "such a case" is if the links are "...inappropriate or contrary to ASA's stated purpose and mission."

No unity whatsoever on any level of the issue. I found these really quickly on Infoseek with a search of "terms conditions service | link*".

Of course, you realize that by providing these links, I am stating my position on the issue of banning the links. :-)