PC World and civic.com's more liberal deep linking policy?

Author:Lawrence Lee
Posted:8/12/1999; 10:17:20 AM
Topic:PC World and civic.com's more liberal deep linking policy?

I was investigating how other IDG publications deal with deep links and I came across two other linking policies.

Three links for free!
PC World lets you include *three* links without having to receive permission (though you have to send them an e-mail about it):

"To create up to three links to Content on PC World Online, you do not need to request permission. Simply notify us of your link by sending an e-mail to permissions@pcworld.com with the URL(s) of the PC World Online Content you plan to link to and with the exact URL(s) of the places on your site where we can find the link(s)."

But then again, if you want to use the article headline as the link anchor you have to receive permission.

<http://www.pcworld.com/resource/permissions/0,2206,,00.html#sitelink>

Linking isn't duplication? Linking isn't duplication!
But wait! Civic.com, another IDG publication, has their own interesting linking policy:

===
Linking to Us
We invite you to link to any/all of our web pages. We do not view this as duplication.
===

<http://www.civic.com/services/trademark.html>