Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/25/1999; 8:23:06 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

The Compaq Saga that started last week continues, with the arrival of the machine, DOA. And I finally wrote down, so I won't forget, why NT setup is such a uniquely humbling experience.

Today's song, Galileo by the Indigo Girls.

An email from Dennis Ritchie to Dan Bricklin explaining how he got permission to release the early version of the original C compiler.

Dori Smith on the difference between coding and writing.

Wired: Programmer Reaches his Xanadu.

A question to start the day. If open source is so good for software, why isn't it equally good for books and magazines?

Tim O'Reilly: "I feel that it's immoral to try to compel someone else to give you something they've created without compensating them in some way. That is, when software is freed, it is a gift, not the result of an obligation." Excellent!

Jice "enables companies to easily construct syndicated publishing networks, Web superstores, and online reseller channels by establishing Web-site-to-Web-site information networks."

InternetNews.Com: The Worst Security Hole? "IE5 users can protect themselves by going into security tab of the browser's Internet Options menu, and disabling ActiveX controls or plug-ins."

Apparently the Udanax site has exceeded its transfer limit. Luckily there's a mirror site here.