Re: open content (was Re: Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly)

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/25/1999; 9:30:09 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

Content is just about anything that isn't executable..

Why have a distinction between content and presentation? You're ruling out whole branches of modern art. The medium is the message, etc etc. You're also ruling out whole branches of modern computer programming such as scripting and on-the-fly program creation by scripts (!!), ML, reflection, reification, scheme, executable content, etc.

My point: I don't think there's a simple definition that we can agree on where content ends and software starts. I agree with Dave that we need to ask the question about opening up content, and I agree exactly because the distinction between content and software is a fallacy.