Re: Marijuana, health or legal issue

Author:Mike Gauland
Posted:8/25/1999; 9:29:46 AM
Topic:Carl Sagan and Marijuana

...[M]aybe we would have learned something about leaving our politicians' private lives alone from this past couple of years, but no, we must have all the details from George Junior

There are many, many, people serving long prison sentences, while we escalate the "war on drugs" and cut spending on treatment programs. Perhaps we forgive our artists and sports heroes, but this courtesy does not extend to ordinary citizens. Perhaps "W" could have passed the drug tests used when his father was President--but if he did use cocaine earlier in his life, and he had been caught, where would he be now? Does his "compassionate conservatism" extend to the "youthful indiscretions" of others? One of the strengths of a representative democracy is that the public can hold politicians to the same standards of conduct they, through legislation, seek to impose on us.