Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/26/1999; 7:38:47 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

My opinion only.

I sat in a bunch of Perl sessions at the O'Reilly conference, and I couldn't believe my eyes. This is 1999! Perl is on the same level as Basic. For example, Perl doesn't have parameters on procedures. Now, you can send parameters, but you have to push them on the stack yourself and the subroutine has to pop them off. Wow, it's just like assembly language, but it's a scripting language? Hello? That almost deserves an Oooops!

Even Fortran had the idea of parameter lists.

To me, Perl looks like a series of arcane hacks, that were documented before someone could say Whoa maybe you ought to look how it's *really* done.

I don't mind stating my opinion, hopefully you don't think it represents any kind of absolute truth.

I happen to think Algol-like languages are the way to go.

As they say, your mileage may vary. ;->

And if you want to post a link to this on SlashDot, go for it. No problemmo.