Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/26/1999; 7:50:18 AM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

About whitespace in Python, pay attention. They're onto something there. Once you assume that whitespace is significant, the next step is to make structure significant. Have you ever programmed with an outliner? I've been doing it for ten years. It's a big deal. Python, because they bit the bullet and made a very rational design choice, will get better editors than Perl. I sat in the audience trying to imagine how we'd bake Perl into Frontier, and came to the conclusion that it can never happen. Perl is too dirty. But Python, not only is that possible (we think) the result will be gorgeous.