Re: Open Source Projects and quality...

Author:Michael Llaneza
Posted:8/26/1999; 12:37:09 PM
Topic:Opening Up Linux Journal and O'Reilly

I've long found programming with an outliner to be a very liberating experience. My style of thinking lends itself well to outliners, and so my structured comments are easy to flesh out with code that is already structured both logically and syntactically.

Go ahead and try a little code with Frontier if you haven't before.

I've also found that Frontier shares an advantage with Open Source software, in that much of the functionality of Frontier is written in Frontier, and so is available for examination. And some (I haven't dug through enough of the core code to say more) of the code is of very high quality.

My favorite example is this script: system.verbs.builtins.tcp.sendMail

It's got great structure, it's well commented and exhibits self documenting style. Breaking up a long string of concatenation statements into several lines makes it very easy to see what the code is doing.. Kudos to whomever wrote that.