Re: IPNetRouter Catharsis (was Re: Microsoft NT setup)

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:8/26/1999; 1:14:15 PM
Topic:Next clonemaker, Compaq

I've got the opposite experience.

This was about a year ago. I played with the trial version of ipnetrouter, and couldn't get it to route a ppp line to a network. It was very frustrating.

So I hooked up a spare mac2ci, slapped the modem on it, and installed NetBSD. PPP worked out of the box, routing and masquerading were straight out of the how-to. The only thing it didn't do was demand dialing.

Subsequently, I tried IPNetRouter again and it worked well, even with demand dialing.

Since then I've done several linux router/gateway machines for 24-7 connections, and I really like how well they work, especially using a micro linux distribution called LRP, which fits on a floppy disk with room to spare and runs off of a ram disk.

eric