Re: Thanks (in advance) for listening.™

Author:Tom Neff
Posted:8/26/1999; 3:18:21 PM
Topic:Next clonemaker, Compaq

I understand the distinction between "it sounds like" vs. "you really meant." Unfortunately I am only in a position to comment on the former. :)

I agree that companies like Compaq and Dell are not really selling computers ready for serious work without wizardly tweaking, even though their marketing droids feel compelled to suggest otherwise. I have read estimates that something like 60% of all PC's are actually sitting unused because they "don't work anymore."

My point here is simply that those lucky few of us who actually understand how some of this stuff works, ought to know better than to believe mass market hype, ACT on it, then get mad in public afterward.

There is a name for this malady of course: Pournelle's Palsy. Don't be one of Jerry's kids! :)

As for resellers: Did you try Bancroft & Masters, down the road? There's also Global Network Services, and Infopartners in Emerald Hills. No direct experience with any of them, but they're nearby