Re: more on Flash...

Author:John Dowdell
Posted:8/29/1999; 8:15:07 AM
Topic:more on Flash...

My thanks to Oliver for putting up a list of some of the people who generate SWF in response to realtime data feeds... I've posted similar things in the past but my links aren't up to date. (Hmm, I don't see the Turbine ActiveX generator there, and there's also Corda's PopChart at http://www.corda.com/ .)

Macromedia Generator doesn't try to solve all such generation needs. It focuses on the high-end installations where volume, reliability and speed come into play. On other sites SwiftTools or YGenerator would be a more appropriate solution. It depends on what you're trying to do.

(There's a Flash 3 Player whose code has been sucked into a QuickTime 4 codec, from what I understand. Photoshop can be useful for automation on the design machine, but I have not heard of anyone using it successfully for serverside generation.)

For text, in Flash 4 you can rely upon clientside generation... a generic movie can request a plaintext file from the server and then "load variables" to read this into a dummy field on the screen. This is similar to what Shockwave has done for a few years. (Rephrased, there's serverside generation of dumb documents, and clientside generation of smart documents... either approach can be used for text content.)

Before it comes up, yes, the SWF documentation on the website is being revised for the new tags in the 4.0 file format. The localized versions have now been completed, and work is proceeding on the player base code, the varietal players (Irix and others are in the final phases), and the 4.0 file documentation is in this group of projects.

Regards,
John Dowdell
Macromedia Tech Support