Re: Bill Joy a credit-taker?

Author:Kent Spaulding
Posted:8/30/1999; 8:07:32 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Seems like a likely scenario - where would McNealy stand?

Of course, VI is the world's greatest editor. It's a shame that web-browsers chose not to use it in these TEXTAREA input fields - now that would be Manila!

But seriously, Gosling certainly deserves the credit for making Java/Oak real and elegant. I can't imagine that he'd take credit for each of the individual ideas in the language - but it's a wonderful composition and hence a very powerful little beast. You've got to like that.

I'll also have mention that you've got to appreciate Java for another reason - JPython.

As for emacs, that's another story. (I wouldn't dare choose a side in THAT debate!)