Computer Vendor Customer Experience

Author:John Brewer
Posted:9/4/1999; 2:36:25 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Dave,

How much of a premium are you willing to pay for real service? It seems to me that current PC clone manufacturers have been optimizing for low cost at the expense of all other factors. This is no doubt in part driven by industry pundits (present company excepted) harping on sub-$500 PCs.

Perhaps there's a niche for a computer company that charges maybe 50% more than competitors for comparable hardware, but provides real service. I'm just afraid that most people treat a PC as a commodity, like pork bellies, and shop solely on price. It's either that, or Compaq and Dell are run by complete idiots. I'm just not sure which.