Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/7/1999; 5:48:01 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

The advantage of wiring up a discussion server is that thru common interfaces, people are able to connect up scriptable text editors to the web, working around limitations of textareas in web browsers. Once you have the ability to use a modern editor to write for the web you won't want to go back.

Why did Amazon buy Alexa? Can you still get riled up about this? I'm having trouble.

David Mundie: Why I Love Gema. "I have been searching for the perfect language for text manipulation ever since I became interested in computers."

InfoWorld on NetDocuments. "The service includes a synchronization feature, which allows users to upload documents to the Web, make changes in their native application, and have those changes automatically synchronized within the same document." Faq.

MacInTouch rolls out a new site design. I find it unsettling. I had my MacInTouch routine pretty solid. Now I have to learn a new way of reading. I prefer more gradual change.

News.Com: Free Labor on the Internet. "A growing number of Net companies, including Netscape, Lycos, and Deja.com, are using volunteers instead of salaried staff to build their content directories." Jacob Savin wonders how this relates to Open Source.

WSJ: CBS to merge with Viacom. "The combination would create a media powerhouse owning the CBS network, several major cable networks — including MTV, Nickelodeon, Country Music Television and the Nashville Network — and storied film studio Paramount Pictures."

Wired: "Thursday, 9 September may be represented as 9999 on many computer software programs. In theory, this string of nines might disrupt systems and provide a preview of the millennium bug." Two days!

New channel: Diary of a New Homemaker.