Re: Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Author:don_wakefield@mentorg.com
Posted:9/7/1999; 12:06:49 PM
Topic:Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

>>I wrote: >> The ability to do RPC over HTTP and write one's own >> front-end may represent a key move away from the >> browser-is-web attitude. I look forward to seeing more of >> this in the future. > >Dave Winer wrote: > Actually I'm hoping to see an integration of the web, email > and instant messaging, and if Deja comes on board, you get > NNTP too.

An integration how? I'm not sure I understand. I work on Unix, and play on Macs, maybe you're referring to integration of the Internet into the OS ala WindowsXX? I've followed a lot of your writing, but obviously I've missed something.

>Then you can concentrate the power of writing tools [...] >all the old lessons apply

I'd think that your thesis would apply whether the various applications were integrated (however that might happen) or not. After all, an ICQ tool may be designed to be a useful tool which doesn't get in the user's way, and can be designed to be extended (as in Apple events, HTTP, etc.) regardless of what other applications a user wants to use.

Is this a continuation of the thread you were pursuing wherein you stated that Linux needed a single standard GUI? Presumably so all apps are familiar in their basic interface?

>This is why the Sun acquisition of Star Division is so >timely. It puts the focus back on desktop apps, an area we >know well!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the impact of this acquisition.