Why did Amazon buy Alexa?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/7/1999; 12:50:13 PM
Topic:Summary of recent XML-RPC developments

Here's the background:

"They say they are not recording this information, and that their servers are audited by Coopers and Lybrand, a famous accounting firm. But, of course, new management could come in at Netscape and change these policies. Users would have no way of verifying that such a change in policy had not occurred, and Netscape would be under no obligation to inform them."

Questions

It's murky

Who cares anymore? I guess Paul Nakada is right (he's quoted at the end of the DN piece). They know who you are when you're browsing. When you go to a weird site that goes into the big database. I can still get riled up about this but it doesn't last very long. Whatever!