Re: Can I script Outlook Express or Eudora?

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:9/7/1999; 4:38:06 PM
Topic:Can I script Outlook Express or Eudora?

Somebody (I don't remember who)

That would be me.

Pardon me while I pick some holes in the solution you have. (You've covered the advantages pretty well)

1) It's still in eudora, so the searching is still minimal. It works for text, but it's dog slow.

2) Quick, list all the messages I've posted to the SM-community list. It's a pain segmenting databases by month to work around some arbitrary limit.

3) It still means that I ahve to think about it for 15 minutes a month. Given all the random crap in my life that only takes 15 minutes a month and hasn't been done for 6 months, that's a big drawback.

4) Multiple machines. My world is now networked, email archives should be on the net. The a reading/quick note client should be in my pocket. A longer writing station should be availiable at every computer. (this being 5+ machines at my house, 2 at work, and any internet cafe I may be recaffinating at.)

When the ebay specialized browser hit, I thought that it could be pretty killer to make something similar for a mail client. Basically a web browser where you could control the menu commands that had a good text editing interface. There's not that many commands that are necessary for an xml-rpc interface to a mailserver. (maybe the suites.dg could be a good 90% solution.) If you could configure with a url + username+ password, you would solve a hell of a lot of email configuration problems while not giving up the quality of interface that people have come to expect from a computer program with one specific purpose.

BTW, I've been working on dumping mail messages into a discussion group to get the full text indexing and such happening easily. It would also allow DG posts to propagate to the SM list from previously subscribed users. Picture a hybrid mailing list/discussion group to see what I'm getting at. I'm still not sure if I like the discussion group interface any better than the (relatively similar in concept) interface that I'm using for my web email pages, but there's a familiarity with the discussion group that others don't have with my design.

eric