Re: What am I missing? Disconnected XMLRPC

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:9/8/1999; 8:34:57 AM
Topic:What am I missing? Disconnected XMLRPC

Disclaimer: I do not understand XML-RPC in enough detail to know for sure whether the capability I hanker after is already there. Singes and flames --> /dev/null please :)

I think the ability to operate in a disconnected (or asynchronous) mode is a very important one. Being able to send an RPC via XML-RPC and later synch up with the result -- either by polling or by waiting -- will allow me to write apps that are connected intermittently.

FWIW I think CORBA does not have such a facility. They have "oneway" calls with best-effort semantics but you can't get a result back and you can't know that the call actually happened.