Vocal Apple Users?

Author:Rick Hansen
Posted:9/8/1999; 10:12:35 AM
Topic:Vocal Apple Users?

Dave wrote today (9/8/99):

Meanwhile Apple is making news in a struggle with some vocal users. Couldn't they find something more interesting to put on page one?

My response:

Perhaps it's not the most interesting topic in the world, but it is the one that may keep me from buying another Apple product.

Apple disabled the ability to upgrade the G3 chip to a G4 chip in what appeared to be an innocent firmware upgrade; my G3's upgrade potential was crippled AFTER I installed a firmware update that said it was to improve PCI performance. There was nothing in the Apple documentation for the update that said: "By the way, by installing this update you've agreed to limit the life-span or usefulness of your machine."

As a long-time Mac user and buyer, I love my machines and OS (I don't think Wintel users share the same dynamic; it's a Mac thing and I can't explain it) and it hurts when I find I can't trust Apple.

Apple won't explain. So I don't know if I can trust the next "innocent" update.

I'm not a vocal user; I'm a pissed user. Is that the relationship Apple wants to have with me?

Rick