Corporate portals & Frontier

Author:erik
Posted:9/9/1999; 3:07:43 PM
Topic:Corporate portals & Frontier

There are many facets to a corporate portal that enables employees to work more effectively on an intranet. From what I can tell, some of the important facets include
Of course performance is a critical aspect of a portal. People who grew up with the frenzied pace of post-modern life will not wait more than a few seconds for a web page to display before pressing cancel and going somewhere else. The key portal capabilities needs to be displayed at Yahoo-type speeds. Do I need a farm of Pentium IIIs to achieve fast dynamically-built content with F6?

While I spent some cycles building a demo of a personalized corporate portal using Frontier, some of the above areas do not seem to be easily addressed using Frontier out of the box. Yes, with enough coding and *time* you could do anything, but I'm more interested in starting with a fair amount of functionality and spending my cycles customizing to my environment, not creating the basic functionality. There's no need to reinvent AltaVista's NI-based index search or web crawler for instance, it should be built in or easily added on with a plugin.

So my point is, are you positioning Frontier these days as more of a editorial / weblog / news oriented toolbox, and less of a portal-building toolset? The focus recently seems to be more to the former.

erik