Zope.org Topic Proposal

Author:Jon Udell
Posted:9/10/1999; 9:55:36 AM
Topic:rss channels via email

Outstanding! A first-class object, whose role is to map relationships among other objects. This seems like a technology on which one could implement the kind of directory viewer that Dave and I have handwavingly assumed will allow people to visualize and navigate the topic tree fed in by RSS channels. Is that a fair assessment?

> Jon's hybrid approach

As Dave has mentioned, he brought the idea to me, not vice versa. It's the kind of thing I've been thinking about for years, but mainly -- I've now concluded -- from the wrong perspective. The "namespace czar" role doesn't go down too well in the Internet space. We need namespace czars, badly, but perhaps not as guardians at the front door. Perhaps more as gardeners who weed and prune some things and encourage others. And even then, in a way that doesn't destroy anything or preclude other arrangements of stuff. People will vote with their mouseclicks, and will tend to frequent the nicest gardens.

Talking to Dave yesterday really crystallized this for me, so I volunteered to write it up and put it out for discussion. Which discussion has, for me, been extremely valuable.

Jon Udell <http://udell.roninhouse.com/>