Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/15/1999; 6:56:59 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

MSNBC: Microsoft to buy Visio for $1.3 Billion. Stunning!

Motley Fool on the Visio deal. "Why spend a fraction of your $3 billion research and development budget designing niche software when you have a collaborative relationship with a competitor right up the street?"

InternetWorld: Take My Content Please!

WebReference.Com: Using RSS News Feeds in Perl.

Sam DeVore is using XML-RPC to connect his students, via HyperCard, to a Frontier discussion group. Excellent!

Frontier Developers you can hire. (If you're very lucky!) To be listed on this page, visit the prefs site, review your information, and click on the radio button to allow us to publicly list your info. The public developers page is refreshed every night around 1AM Pacific.

Last summer the IETF ran this critique of XML-RPC. I think they missed that XML-RPC is merely a formalization for the body of POSTs to allow diverse scripting environments to connect over the Internet. There are lots of one-off solutions that only work for a single environment. The purpose of XML-RPC is to unify the one-offs, so we can do some building.

It's been a few months since Third Voice showed up on the web. What contribution have they made? Here's an example, Scripting News viewed thru a Third Voice lens. Viral web app? No, a mindless cesspool. I wonder what kind of comments accumulate on the Third Voice home page?

Further, their technology is pretty weird. They install a web server on the user's machine! Why? Jeremy Bowers has been looking into this. Thanks!