Possible Good Uses for Local Proxy

Author:Jason Levine
Posted:9/15/1999; 7:58:42 AM
Topic:New Third Voice version out

Jeremy et al:

This discussion has got me thinking, though, about possible good uses of a local proxy server.

I've been trying to figure out how to put together a good, cross-browser, flexible, unintrusive bookmarking system within Frontier. I'm sick of going from machine to machine and not having my bookmarks. What I want is the ability to just surf the web, and when I like a site, bookmark it in much the same way that the browsers let me now. It just hit me that a Frontier local proxy would let me do exactly that.

Imagine this proxy, just grabbing the page that you want and then throwing it into a window with a small sliver of the top of the normal window missing. Instead of containing the web page, this small sliver would have my new favorites system controls. There would be a URL text input area, an "add to your favorites" button, a pulldown menu with your current favorites, and so on. That would be SO COOL, and if the proxy were running on an internet-accessible machine, I could use it from any machine that I use.

Wow... now I just need time to develop this...

/jason