Re: If I were Microsoft's Marketing God

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:9/19/1999; 12:10:30 PM
Topic:If I were Microsoft's Marketing God

Do you know how many hps Frontier can handle? I just came across some Zope stats on the Zope mailing list archive. A mid-level Linux box running Zope behind Apache can handle 10-15 K hps. The same box running Zope alone can handle 40-50 K hps.

I'm reading a book on AOLServer and it handles 5 million static and scripted hpd on a low-end Unix box, and on a mid-level Unix server AOLServer handles 500,000 hpd with an avg cpu load of 1 to 3 per cent.

The author's argument is that scalability is a fine buzz word for marketing types, but if you use your head you can build a single box which can handle a whack of hits without having to resort to server farms. It's difficult enough administering one machine, so why administer five machines if you don't have to?

Slashdot, for example, handles 500,000 hpd with a server farm and gives decent performance. But I suspect if they top 1 million hpd they'll have to get more machines.

I've been hitting the AOLServer-based site (www.photo.net/wtr) for a few weeks now, and I've yet to see it hiccup. Slashdot disappears from radar every once in a while (server crashing I would assume). phot.net uses an Oracle db to serve some of the content.

I'm just curious.