Re: What's the deal with Third Voice?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/27/1999; 8:30:43 AM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

The best defense for speech you don't like is more speech -- put some comments using Third Voice on your site, for example -- or continue to speak in public and in your own DGs.

On my website, as in my home, I am not an equal with every jerk who wants to complain about his or her miserable life. That's what the jerks want. To become the focus of the discussion. I want no part of that, and forget it, I'm not going to engage them in debate. Life's too short and there's too much misery in the world. I'd rather adopt a lifestyle of sailing and pottery. Looking at gorgeous sunsets. Pondering the meaning of life and the purpose of the universe. Not engaging some mental-two-year old in "debate". No no no.

If Third Voice catches on, or something like it does, you can be sure of one thing. I will stop running Scripting News thru the web. We will invent another browser, one that can't be added onto. The only outcome of TV, if it catches on, is that it will kill web browsers once and for all, decisively. The web will become a cesspool of stupidity. Goodbye web. See you in the next medium.