Re: What's the deal with Third Voice?

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:9/27/1999; 10:47:34 AM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

Dave Winer wrote:

On my website, as in my home, I am not an equal with every jerk who wants to complain about his or her miserable life.

I certainly think this is fair. The problem is what happens once your content leaves your server. No one is arguing that people should be able to alter content on your server. Once it's on the wire, however, it's not clear how much protection there should be for (your version of) it. Once you step outside your yard and onto the sidewalk, your legal rights are hugely different than while you are on your own property.

I think we need the equivalent of certified mail for the web. For those who, for a variety of legitimate reasons, want total control over the distribution of their materials, this kind of technology will be important. For some applications it's a Virtual Private Network, but there's a huge gray area between what we have now (i.e., nothing) and a VPN.