You've never owned the look and feel ...

Author:Rogers Cadenhead
Posted:9/28/1999; 9:37:43 AM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

< You don't have the control over the look and feel of your Web site. You never have. HTML was tailor-made for rendering tools that strip out page elements and formatting that the user doesn't want to see, then present the rest in a different form.

There's a button in the current version of Opera that acts like a wayback machine -- it makes your page look like everything on the Web circa 1994, inhibiting the graphical backgrounds and fancy font choices that justify a Web designer's salary but often render a page completely unreadable.

If they ever become fully implemented, Cascading Style Sheets give users even more control to override the presentation decisions you have made on a Web site.

The arguments used against Third Voice could be used against browsers that can override font and color formatting on a Web page. Web publishers don't own the manner in which their sites are presented to a user, and I think we would lose something considerable if the courts gave them this ownership now.