Re: You've never owned the look and feel ...

Author:cameron@camworld.com
Posted:9/28/1999; 3:44:46 PM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

Rogers hits upon my favorite subjects of late: User-Controlled Design.

User-controlled design is the concept of designing a web site that gives the end user maximum control over how a page will render in their browser.

I recently implemented a pretty cool little feature on my web site that allows my readers to choose whatever [predefined by the designer] colorscheme they want. This does a few things:

1. It allows the user to choose. A good thing. 2. It helps those who have trouble reading certain text color/background color combinations.

Rogers is right that the web designer never is in complete control of a web site design, and rightly, never should be. Browser preferences (background color, font settigns, etc.) are there for a reason. By over-riding these user-specified settings with HTML and CSS, you are breaking a crucial rule of usability.

Give the control back to the user.