32 char Item Name limit....

Author:Neil McLeish
Posted:9/28/1999; 9:57:53 AM
Topic:32 char Item Name limit....

Here's a teaser...

Is there a reason behind the 32 char limit for a table name? The problem is, when adding users from a 3rd party database to a members.users group, we are using each user's email address as their login (like they do on various webmail systems, such as netscapeonline.co.uk). Alarmingly frequently, users and their ISP/Network administrators neglect Jakob Nielsen's rule about keeping low the memory load on a user, and choose rediculously long ( >32chr) email addresses such as : micheal.myers@manchestercitycouncil.org.uk . We cannot put this in to a GDB. It wont let us. Not normally. However, we have found that when parsing a filemaker database of users, their email addresses and other details; the long email addresses actually do get put into the item name without a problem. Again,however, we have the problem of new users to be added. How do I do this if I cannot manually type in the address?