Re: You've never owned the look and feel ...

Author:Jeremy Bowers
Posted:9/28/1999; 12:43:45 PM
Topic:Windows apps on Linux: the real reason

I've seen a lot of people who don't understand why I claim that Third Voice is more like republishing a photograph in a magazine. Basically, they feel that Third Voice is a purely personal endeavor.

Well, I ask them, which does Third Voice have more in common with?

The first is OK. The second is not.

Which is Third Voice? It is the second, in terms of what it does. If it was a purely personal thing that is only an issue of how the user chooses to view things, then I would ever bit as upset about Third Voice as I am when people view my site(s) with Lynx (which is to say, not at all). But the annotation is a public thing, not a private.

(To split hairs, I do sort of agree with these people in one regard; it may well be "OK" to view the annotations as a person. What is not legal would be posting in such a fashion that it can affect millions of people, legal or otherwise. Or creating content that acts similarly. So, you may have the "right" to view what nobody has the "right" to create!)