Re: Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Hannes Wallnöfer
Posted:10/2/1999; 11:27:12 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Unless I'm mistaken, ``they'' are already working with ``us'': Zope, various XML-RPC and SOAP implementations, discussion about future protocols, interfaces to other systems, etc.

I'd like to confirm this. As an example, the following is a message posted to the Java-Apache mailing list (imho _the_ hot spot of server side java on unix) some months ago by Jon Stevens, one of the core members of the java-apache project:

> Is there a way for a Java client to use RMI as a communication > protocol with a servlet(s) running withing the JServ Module of > apache?

Yes, it should be possible but would not be the best method imho.

I would use XML-RPC instead <http://www.xml-rpc.com/>.

I think the thing to realize is that mind share (and the spot on Linux CD-ROMS it brings) is a bottom-up phenomenon in the Linux world much more that it is with Windows and Mac. And I think it's coming along very nicely.