Re: XML-RPC Interface for Email

Author:David Gewirtz
Posted:10/6/1999; 1:57:49 PM
Topic:

I've been doing some work in this area. It's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison. Our subscription notice list server died (LetterRip) and it just wouldn't come back to life. Since LTR wasn't really ideal for our application (outgoing notices), I've been building a new program in Frontier, but using an MTA to get mail out to the net.

I tried SendMail 8.x on a vanilla RedHat Linux 6.0 machine (a tiny P100 w/48M) and it croaked. It kept launching sendmail processes (at one point there were over 400 processes launched) until the machine just couldn't handle it anymore and it passed out dead.

Then I tried EIMS 2.2.2 on an old, original iMac with 64M and it's still running.

Granted, our use is unique (pumping 70,000 messages out every day or so), but it was fascinating to me that the dumpy old iMac in the corner beat out the Linux box in reliability and the ability to get the job done.

My advice is to be as backend-agnostic as you can be. That way, different usage patterns might dictate the backend MTA, not your code.