Re: XML-RPC Interface for Email

Author:Bryant Durrell
Posted:10/6/1999; 2:24:41 PM
Topic:

Hm... I have to agree with the people who like UNIX. Note that sendmail (and any other decent UNIX mail server) doesn't care about the message store; you can use anything you like. So you can stick a good database behind it.

Issue -- software.com makes a high end MTA for UNIX called Intermail. I don't know if it has its own backend mail store, or if it can use other mail stores. It's widely used in high volume ISP applications and despite my bad experiences with software.com's post.office, I've heard a lot of good things about their high end product. You'd want to be sure you could interoperate with them, since they're heavily used.

Sidenote -- I used to pump out hundreds of thousands of messages a day using sendmail on an old Sparcstation 2 when I worked at Netcom. Check your tuning parameters... from what you said, the first thing you should do is tweak your mail scripts so that all outgoing email is placed in the mail queue for processing, which will prevent sendmail from starting one process per email message. You should also make sure you have a caching DNS server running on your mail machines, so that you won't have to do a lot of expensive DNS lookups.