Re: XML-RPC Interface for Email

Author:Dave Polaschek
Posted:10/6/1999; 2:21:18 PM
Topic:

It's less risky because Eric already has the functionality running in Frontier.

Dave, for you, I agree that's probably the case. For me, I'm unfamiliar with Eric's code, so I would treat that as the riskiest part. I'm not trying to put down his code. I'm just trying to explain how I would approach the problem. It's an unknown to me, so I'd rather get familiar with it quickly in case there was a problem (possibly with my understanding, and not with the code).

I think this is one of those cases where there's not a great upside in developing it in Frontier.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. I did a project where I wanted to create a prototype and get a feel for the problem. I prototyped in Frontier, and discovered things I hadn't thought of. The shipping code ended up being written in C/C++, but by building a version in Frontier, I got something put together quickly, and had a pretty good idea of how the pieces were going to fit together before I started coding in C++. Where someone using a more formal methodology might've spent the same time building UML, I pounded it out in UserTalk. In previous lives I prototyped in Basic or HyperCard.

Also, it may turn out that development in Frontier will be good enough (perhaps not for the customer you mentioned in the original message, but good enough for other customers -- it would probably be good enough for me). In that case, you ship the prototype.

I've done a fair amount of email scripting in past lives.

I figured you could probably come up with an answer, but since you were asking for opinions.... Personally, I don't have a good enough idea what an XML-RPC interface for email would look like yet, so I would need the iterations.

-DaveP