Re: Like IBM was to Mac Fans

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/13/1999; 8:51:23 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Good point. And it played right into IBM's hand. The more Mac people focused on IBM, the stronger they were.

It was such an effective strategy that in 1990 when Microsoft handed the keys of the PC market to Apple, Apple had such a defeated attitude that they snuck into a niche and virtually died. They could have had the whole friggin market.

If I were playing Microsoft's hand right now, assuming they want to keep Linux from destroying their market (fair assumption), I'd do everything I could to focus the leaders of the Linux world, and the press on the Microsoft Threat. Then expect that the voices of Linux will be so confused they miss big openings as Apple did.

Is Linus more courageous than John Sculley was?

The #2 attitude is totally self-fullfilling.