Re: using netnews to provide free Third-Voice-like services

Author:Geoff Allen
Posted:10/18/1999; 1:32:22 PM
Topic:using netnews to provide free Third-Voice-like services

I wasn't thinking that X and Y would need servers. They would each connect to some server, say z.userland.com [ :^) ] that took their info, and responded to queries about J and K.

The problem I see with using news is that it's a lossy transmission protocol (I'm a news admin). Someone mentioned NoCeM, but that's a commentary/rating service for news articles, so using news as the transport makes sense. X and Y will need access to news servers. Why not have it be access to an XML server and dispense with the need to transmit the message to every news server on the planet (or at least, every news server subscribed to the group)?