using netnews to provide free Third-Voice-like services

Author:Seth Gordon
Posted:10/18/1999; 11:24:06 AM
Topic:using netnews to provide free Third-Voice-like services

I've noticed a lot of stuff regarding Third Voice on Scripting News. Let me humbly propose a way to deal with Third Voice: create a free, and more useful, protocol that supplants it.

Imagine a netnews group called "misc.url-links" (or some such), in which some messages are digitally signed, every message (aside from the signature) has a strict, easy-to-parse format, and each message makes a set of statements about various URLs and their relationships -- e.g.:

==== BEGIN XYZ-CRYPTOGRAPHY-COMPANY SIGNED MESSAGE ====
http://lwn.net/1999/features/MSResponse.phtml
http://www.nacs.net/~heller/ms/ms_linuxmyths.html
http://www.DoLinux.org/response.html
http://enlightenment.org/rant.html
rebuts
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp

http://www.hinterlands.f9.co.uk/linuxmyths.html http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/ms-linux-myths-fud/ annotates rebuts http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/news/msnw/LinuxMyths.asp

http://www.useit.com/ http://www.scripting.com/ is well-designed is informative ==== BEGIN XYZ-CRYPTOGRAPHY-COMPANY SIGNATURE ==== blah blah blah ==== END XYZ-CRYPTOGRAPHY-COMPANY SIGNED MESSAGE ===

(Maybe the format for describing the links should be based on XML; I'll skip over that implementation detail for the time being.)

Given this netnews group and this protocol, it would be just a Simple Matter of Progamming to create client software that would:

Other possibilities that would be only slightly more complex: stand-alone programs or browser plug-ins that would... The protocol is simple, it has a lot of potential, and it builds on well-established and widely available technologies (the Web, netnews, and relational databases).

What do y'all think?