Re: Go Mets!

Author:Greg Pierce
Posted:10/18/1999; 1:41:27 PM
Topic:Go Mets!

I think that Baseball captures America's struggle between individual freedoms and democratic unity in a unique way that speaks to many Americans.

The overall team is essential to success, but yet when the batter and pitcher face off it's a very individual battle of wills and skills. It has the opportunity for Heroics that many other sports don't provide.

When atheletes in non-team sports do something incredible, it's not "heroic". You have to do it for someone else's benefit (the team) to be seen that way. In other teams sports (basketball, football) incredible individual efforts are often seen, but never highlighted in the exclusive way the no-hitter, or the grand slam home run allow.

It's part of the American dream to be able to shine the spotlight in that unique way...We like our heroes...

g.