Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Zac
Posted:10/18/1999; 6:09:44 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Be as radical as you want but there are certain realities.

1) Web based publications can not currently make money from their content via the same advertising models that they use for print

This means that you cannot take your print advertisers and give them the same sort of results that they expect from print. Or the same sort of treatment

2) Web based ads have horrific ROIs. They are very ineffective and consequently they don't make the same sort financial sense for a print magazine.

How many people would click on an ad if you had banners on this site? And I might point out that Frontier is no longer free? Whats up with that? Content has to be free but software isn't?

I realise that Userland certainly provides significant value/money to its users but still...

3) Mixed medium organizations need to find ways to balance the demands of their readers with their own internal demands. This means that they still have to pay their bills.

The reality of the web is that the web versions of print mags hemoerage(sp?) money. Companies like ZD and CMP can do simultaneous publishing becasuse they have much larger factors of efficentcy based on the amount of content they produce , the number of sites they have and the number of visitors they can provide for their advertisers. ZD sites work primarily, I think, becasue they act more as portals to ZD content than as actual content sites per se