Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/18/1999; 6:54:56 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

I'd check my "realities" if I were you.

What's CNET's market capitalization?

Salon? How will the Andover.Net IPO go? Why is Red Hat rushing to get a Linux publication going? (Hint, it's not print.) These are comps. We're talking about Linux pubs. The reality is that an active Linux website with stories of the caliber of the ones on Linux Magazine could probably raise money at a valuation of $50 million. From there, the could play for quite a while before they even had to worry about the sheckels that advertisers pay, in either medium.

You know a lot about me. Where does you knowledge of economic models for publications come from? I don't even know your last name.