Re: Linux Magazines

Author:Joe
Posted:10/18/1999; 9:16:37 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Linux magazines are not alone

Linux magazines are not the only ones who release content on the web after it has left the shelves. Wired Magazine was one of the first to proudly state that all their text was on the web. But they too wait until the actual magazine has already left the shelves.

Magazines != websites

I believe magazines and websites are two completely different beasts. If this were an discussion about deer farming magazines then many of the arguments that brought forward probably wouldn't make any sense.

Sure, the web is a great step forward for people who want to publish their own stuff. It can be a fantastic leveller if used properly. But it doesn't mean that one format has to die to make way for another. Magazines have advantages too. I can read one on the loo, on the bus, at the beach, wherever. No worries about batteries, network connections, crackers or bamdwidth. I can cut out clippings and put them on the fridge. I can put posters on the wall. No problems with printing or any other technological pitfall.

Magazines have their place. Just like books. And websites.