Re: SalonHerringWiredFool.Com

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:10/27/1999; 7:05:37 PM
Topic:SalonHerringWiredFool.Com

Kent Spaulding wrote:

On one hand, it certainly has the potential to increase flow, which could help build the brands. On the other, the aggregator links somewhat deeply into the sites in question, potentially diluting the brands. Will users stay on the site or go back to the aggregator? As you suggest, it's not a black and white issue.

At least in these cases it's mitigated by the fact that content providers have to explicitly "opt in" by providing RSS URLs. If they don't like the results, they can pull their RSS URLs and opt out.

Your point about Metcalfe's Law is well-taken, and one that I frequently reiterate to "New Media" organizations here in LA who are still struggling, in many instances, to wrap their heads around an economy that is not based on the scarcity principle.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this paradigm shift--from scarcity to plentitude--is real, and like any true paradigm shift, it tends to leave the overwhelming majority of people behind. One need only look at the music industry in light of the increasing prevalence of MP3's to see what can happen when these particular worlds collide.

In any event, instead of dwelling on the potential negative aspects of "knee-jerk branding," I should instead celebrate the fact that it appears that we do indeed have at least four forward-thinking major media outlets who see the value in increasing their distribution through even aggregated syndication. This is indeed great news!

Regards,
Paul