It may be the sun causing the problems

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:11/4/1999; 4:58:32 AM
Topic:It may be the sun causing the problems

I knew we were still in trouble last night when the CEO of my ISP sent me an email saying that he was willing to bet that our service problems disappeared at 10AM. "No," I said, "things got better at 4:30PM."

This has been the consistent pattern. All along they've assumed the problem was net-related, presumably that's why the CEO thought the problems had cleared up at 10AM. They have other customers who have been experiencing outages, but I don't think they've been seeing anything like what we've seen.

The problem here isn't net-related, I'm sure of it, but it may be sun-related. 4:30PM is about the time the sun started setting last night. And that also explains why the problem moved in time, on Sunday, when the clocks were set back.

I just did a quick check around the net. I have the inverse problem from all of you, I can access all our local servers very quickly, but during the day I have a hard time getting out. Normally fast sites like News.Com and MSNBC.COM behave as you guys describe Scripting News behaving. However, when it's dark out, I have no trouble getting out. It's dark right now.

It's funny because Bob Bierman suggested on our private mail list that the problem might have to do with the sun. We laughed. "No the problem is on the Conxion LAN," we said. Well, it might not be. The box that appeared to be causing the problem, 206.204.31.14, is actually our Livingston router. It does not have a 206.204.24.* IP address.

Bottom line

It's beginning to look like our T1 line doesn't like sunshine.

We'll know in an hour or so.