Re: RSS Issues: Comments requested

Author:Bryant Durrell
Posted:11/10/1999; 12:35:28 PM
Topic:RSS Issues: Comments requested

In the real-world, people are extending RSS for their own purposes. Our RSS compiler already ignores items it doesn't know about.

I'm not at all surprised. :) I suspect that most code does the right thing.

My experience in the real world is that it's useful to have a well-defined path for user expansion that is guaranteed not to conflict with any future protocol expansion, which is why I suggested the x- convention.

The specific problem one wants to avoid is user A extending the spec for his personal use, and the official spec subsequently defining the same element in a conflicting manner. This is probably a low probability event, but the effort required to avoid any risk is equally low and does not seem to complicate things unduly. If a chunk of the element namespace is totally reserved for users and programmers to do their own thing, there's never any risk of clashing with the 'official' specifications.

Merely a suggestion. I do not mean to demand, edit, or otherwise express myself rudely; I am observing a technique that has proven useful in the past in the hopes that it might prove useful here. If it isn't useful, no skin off my back.