redirection: new anchor attribute?

Author:Thomas A. Creedon
Posted:11/14/1999; 11:44:05 AM
Topic:redirection: new anchor attribute?

Hello all,

A thought just hit me. Redirection tracking is very useful. It currently has some drawbacks though.

if the redirection server is down, then the link breaks

the urls get ugly. even more so if several levels are involved.

So here is my long term idea for handling this. The anchor tag (perhaps img and others) need to have a new attribute called something like redirect. It's value would be a list of urls.

Of course the browsers would need to be updated or perhaps a plug-in could handle the task. The browser when it hit these attributes would send off the href's value to the servers in the redirect attribute. If a server in the redirect attribute was unreachable then it would be passed over, the user wouldn't be prevented from reaching the final destination.

The handling of how the browser contacts the servers in the redirect attribute could be made fancier. For example, if a server in the redirect attribute were unreachable, that server could be added to a retry queue. All kinds of options for handling there.

An example: http://www.salonherringwiredfool.com/"; redirect="http://redirect.userland.com http://redirect.creedon.net";>SalonHerringWiredFool Comments?

Toodle-loooooooo..........
Thomas