Mac saves the Web

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:11/16/1999; 4:45:06 PM
Topic:Mac saves the Web

Have a look at what Mac developers contributed to the Web, not just the Unix crowd.

When the Web started taking off, I was an OS/2 user. There wasn't very much in the way of documentation etc. (I don't think Ed Kroll's book was out yet.) I went to the bookshop and found Adam Engst's book on how to get your Mac onto the Net, and what to do once you managed to climb aboard.

Now OS/2 had nothing to do with the Mac, but Adam's book told me what I had to do (back then the TCP/IP stack for OS/2 was a separate purchase) and what sort of applications to go looking for.

The Mac crowd helped me get aboard, and I've always been grateful to them for that.

The Mac newsgroups were also friendlier. The OS/2 crowd spent so much time attacking MS and not tolerating anything less than rabid anti-MS views, that I eventually got disgusted and dropped OS/2. (And I was a member of Team OS/2, giving up a week of vacation to help guerilla market OS/2 at Comdex Canada.)